Sunday, August 12, 2012

Crab Season

spaghetti with crab sauce
     My family hates the dog days of August.  After all it's the end of the summer and we're tired of the hot and humid weather.  The start of school is just around the corner and we have to get our summer assignments done.  But there is one thing we all love about August.  "Blue Claw Crabs".
     August is the start of blue claw crab season in New York.  My family loves it made in a sweet tomato sauce poured over a bed of spaghetti.  I  make it every friday during the season.
     I buy about a dozen live crabs and have my fish monger take the backs off and clean them.  Its best to try and cook them as soon as possible.  I brown them in a big pot with some olive oil.  Then I add some garlic and canned plum tomatoes.  I usually put the canned tomatoes in the blender and then pass them through a sieve to remove the seeds. But you can also crush them by hand if you want a chunkier sauce.  Then I add salt pepper and fresh basil to taste.  I bring it to a boil, then let it simmer for about 2 hours.  Boil a pound of spaghetti until el dente. Pour crab sauce over spaghetti.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment